The objectives of the SADC Groundwater and IWRM Conference, to be held in Gaborone, Botswana include:
· to assess the key groundwater-related issues and problems in the SADC sub-region\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s development as well as they underlying causes and impacts of these issues/problems
· to assess the state of sustainable utilization and management of groundwater resources in the sub-region against the background of the above-mentioned issues and problems;
· to initiate actions that will lead towards a broad-based, interlinked (local-national-transboundary-regional-international levels) initiative aimed at building the sub regional capacity for sustainable integrated management of groundwater resources;
· to develop a framework for the integration of groundwater in the regional IWRM approach and climate change adaptability planning at a SADC Regional level basis for local, national and regional action, partnership initiatives, capacity building and technical assistance
· Initiate actions within the African Ministers Council on Water (AMCOW) through which SADC initiative can be appropriately replicated in other regional economic communities, countries and basin organizations
The conference is a joint collaboration involving SADC, AMCOW and GTZ.