A long term partnership for joint planning and financing in the Mediterranean, facilitating effective and efficient use of resources in addressing countries' priorities for the protection of the marine and coastal environment. More specifically:
- The improvement of environmental conditions in 15% of Hotspots and sensitive areas of national priority.
- More sustainable use of coastal resources through the use of Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM), Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) and aquifer management.
- The reduction of pollution from land based sources through demonstration and adoption of environmentally sound technology.
- More sustainable use of fisheries resources through the adoption of an ecosystem based approach to fisheries, and improved protection off critical biodiversity through the management of coherent network of Marine Protected Areas.
- The replication and scaling up of investment projects and demonstrations during the 5 year lifespan of the project.